Simple Vegetarian Chili
Winter can be hard and unforgiving. Its cold, nights are long, and the days shorter. But you can take refuge in something that isn't hard or unforgiving, nor cold or long. Take refuge in a humble bowl of chili. Its warm, comforting, and most importantly, simple. No need for secret ingredients or insanely hot spice blends; just one pot and a few good quality ingredients that you can get from one store. All of the ingredients in this recipe you can find here at Port City Grocery, online and in-store. Plus, there will be a shopping list at the end of the recipe with links to all of the ingredients you need.
One pot meals are usually simple and easy to modify, and this vegetarian chili is no exception. Worry less about measurements and focus more on taste. Add more of what you want and less of what you don't, it’s really up to you. Technically this recipe is vegan, so it's a super inclusive meal that almost anyone can have and is easy to build upon for those that are dairy and/or meat inclined.
3 cups Vegetable Broth
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 can Crushed Tomatoes
1 can Chick peas, drained
1 can Red Kidney Beans, drained
1 whole Butternut Squash, diced, 1 inch cubes
1 Yellow Onion, medium diced
1 can Corn, drained
3 cloves Garlic, rough chopped
3 tsps Cumin
2 tsps Smoked Paprika
2 tsps Oregano
1 tsps Chipotle Powder
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Prepare the butternut squash by peeling it, then cutting in half and scraping out pulp and seeds with a spoon. Cut squash into 1 inch pieces. Then rough chop garlic and dice yellow onion.
- Heat large pot over medium heat, then add olive oil and diced onion. Cook until soft, 2-3 mins.
- Add chopped garlic, cook until fragrant, about 1 min.
- Then, add butternut squash, red kidney beans, chick peas, corn, crush tomatoes, and all of the spices. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour in 3 cups of vegetable broth and stir, bringing to a low simmer. Let simmer for 45 mins to 1 hour until chili has reduced and thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Finally, season with salt and pepper or any other spices you’ve used if needed, and serve.
Simply Organic Spices - Oregano, Chipotle Spice, Smoked Paprika, Cumin https://portcitygrocery.com/products/simply-organic-spices?_pos=1&_sid=23000711f&_ss=r
Imagine Foods | Vegetable Broth https://portcitygrocery.com/search?type=product%2Carticle%2Cpage&q=vegetable+broth
Terra | Chili-infused Olive Oil **
**if you choose to use this for your chili, pay attention to the amount of this chili-infused oil and chipotle spice you use! Add a little at a time to adjust to spice levels your comfortable with**
Eat Wholesome | Organic Crushed Tomatoes
Eat Wholesome | Organic Chick peas
Eat Wholesome | Organic Red Kidney Beans
Eat Wholesome | Italian Sweet Corn
Taproot Farms | Butternut Squash
Taproot Farms | Organic Garlic
Taproot Farms | Yellow Onion
Born and raised in Mississauga, Ontario, Thomas Bartlett first
began a culinary career in 2014. Since then he’s moved to Cape breton,
Halifax, and back again, working for multiple high-profile east coast
establishments. He now uses his talents here at Port City Grocery. He
lives in Dominion with his partner and their weiner dog, Louie.